Thursday, September 15, 2011

Another day, another dollop

the secret to making a good hotdog is putting the condiments on the wiener itself.  Some folks put mayo on their hot dog, and while this is generally wrong, putting a small amount on the bun itself can bring out some of the other flavors and keep some buns from sticking to your mouth.  A classic Texas hotdog really only needs mustard, but I like me some pickle relish as well, which I feel is an under appreciated addition.  Ketchup should be used sparingly, and really is only appropriate when pickle relish is also present.

As Aristotle said, "Katsup is the idiots only culinary necessity."  But we don't need to take Aristotle too seriously, we can have catsup sometimes.

In some places, they put raw onions and even tomato on a hotdog, I feel like this is too close to pico de gallo, and since I don't think Tex-Mex and hotdogs really should ever be combined, I avoid it.

When making brats on a bun, I like to sautee up some onions as well, for emotional support.

No comments:

Post a Comment